Tips for GS 100 Facilitators
- Vary the modes of instruction (lecture, discussion, group work).
- Invite a variety of speakers to your class.
- Use small group work.
- Plan activities that keep students focused on the learning task.
- Promote discussion at the beginning of class (see icebreaker "Question of the Day" activity).
- Use icebreakers earlier in the semester to get students familiar with each other so they will then feel comfortable participating in discussions.
- Allow time for students to suggest topics and issues they want to address in the course.
- Focus on skills that students do well instead of giving the impression that the course is about their deficiencies.
- Advocate for small changes in behaviors; encourage students to set goals for their participation in the course.