System-wide General Education Requirements
GOAL 4: Arts & Humanities 6 credits (in two disciplines or a sequence of foreign language courses)
Students will understand the diversity and complexity of the human experience through study of the arts and humanities.
Student Learning Outcomes: As a result of taking courses meeting this goal, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the diversity of values, beliefs, and ideas embodied in the human experience.
- Identify and explain basic concepts of the selected disciplines within the arts and humanities.
In addition, as a result of taking courses meeting this goal, students will be able to do at least one of the following:
- Identify and explain the contributions of other cultures from the perspective of the selected disciplines within the arts and humanities.
- Demonstrate creative and aesthetic understanding.
- Explain and interpret formal and stylistic elements of the literary or fine arts.
- Demonstrate foundational competency in reading, writing, and speaking a non-English language.
|General Education Requirements|
|Arts & Humanities Requirement||6|
|ART 111 Drawing I||3|
|ART 121 Design I||3|
|ART 123 3-Dimensional Design||3|
|ARTH 100 Art Appreciation||3|
|ARTH 211 History of World Art I *
|ARTH 212 History of World Art II *
|ARTH 231 Survey of Art, Music, Theatre||3|
|ENGL 210 Introduction to Literature **
|ENGL 211 World Literature I *
|ENGL 212 World Literature II *
|ENGL 221 British Literature I||3|
|ENGL 222 British Literature II||3|
|ENGL 241 American Literature I||3|
|ENGL 242 American Literature II||3|
|ENGL 268 Literature||3|
|FREN 101 Introduction to French I||4|
|FREN 102 Introduction to French II||4|
|HIST 121 Western Civilization I *
|HIST 122 Western Civilization II *
|HUM 254 World Civilizations *
|LAKL 101 Introduction to Lakota I||4|
|LAKL 102 Introduction to Lakota II||4|
|MUS 100 Music Appreciation *
|PHIL 100 Introduction to Philosophy||3|
|PHIL 200 Introduction to Logic||3|
|SPAN 101 Introduction to Spanish I *
|SPAN 102 Introduction to Spanish II *
|SPAN 201 Intermediate Spanish I *||3|
|SPAN 202 Intermediate Spanish II *||3|
|THEA 100 Introduction to Theatre *||3|
|THEA 131 Intro to Acting||3|
|THEA 200 Theatre History *
|THEA 201 Film Appreciation *||3|
|NOTE: Foreign language courses (FREN, LAKL, SPAN) are 4 credits. All other courses are 3 credits.|
|NOTE: ART & ARTH are considered one discipline.
|* Global Issues Requirement (see Part II of Institutional Graduation Requirement)|
|** IGR Written Communications Requirement|