Advising Quick List
General Education Requirements
- Effective for students entering fall 2005: System General Education requirements, Institutional Graduation requirements, Globalization/Global Issues requirement, and Writing Intensive requirement
- Incoming freshmen must complete 30 credit hours of System General Education requirements in their first 64 credits
Understanding Program Evaluations
Proficiency (CAAP) Exam
- In preparation for the CAAP exam, the following 18 credit hours must be completed within the first 48: college algebra (or an equivalent higher level math course), composition, speech, and one general education course in natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities/fine arts
Dangers of Dropping Below 12 Credits
- Explain impact on financial aid, insurance, scholarship eligibility, athletic eligibility, and degree completion requirements
Completion of Pre General Education Courses
- English 033, Math 021 & 101(refer to student's placement report)
- If not completed within 30 credits attempted = CPG1 hold (must register through OIEA)
- If not completed within 42 credits attempted = CPG2 hold (must register through OIEA, and can register only for required pre general ed. course/s)
Three Strikes Policy
- Students will be allowed a total of 3 attempts for undergraduate courses (W counts as an attempt, AU does not)
South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship
- Requirements to remain eligible: recipients must maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, as well as, attempt and complete enough credit hours of instruction to meet the credit hour threshold for the forthcoming year (30 credit hours for 3rd and 4th term funding, 60 credit hours for 5th and 6th term funding, and 90 credit hours for 7th and 8th term funding). Any recipient who loses eligibility because the student's cumulative grade point average falls below 3.0 may reestablish eligibility by raising the cumulative grade point overage to 3.0 or greater. Recipients failing to attempt or meet their respective credit hour benchmark in a given year become permanently ineligible in the scholarship program.
- Prerequisites: ACT score of 24+ or 3.2 cumulative GPA
Minimum Progression Standards
- Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain in good academic standing
- Do advisees know their user IDs and passwords?
- Do advisees know how to search and register for classes?
- Are advisees familiar with the Program Evaluation function?
- Do advisees know how to check their grades on WebAdvisor?
- Career Services - Contact: Marie Lohsandt, 256-5122
- Financial Aid - Contact: Denise Grayson, 256-5152
- Office of Institutional Effectiveness & Assessment – Contact: Carrie Ahern, 256-5663
- Registrar's Office - Contact: Sandy Anderson, 256-5152
- Student Services - Contact number: 256-5146
- Tutoring & SMARTHINKING - Contact number 256-5900