- Gen Ed Goal 1: Written Communication
Goal: Students will write effectively and responsibly and understand and interpret the written expression of others. Student Learning Outcomes: As a result of taking courses meeting this goal, students will:
- Write using standard American English, including correct punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure.
- Write logically.
- Write persuasively, with a variety of rhetorical strategies (e.g., expository, argumentative, descriptive).
- Incorporate formal research and documentation into their writing, including research obtained through modern, technology-based research tools.
- Institutional Graduation Requirement (IGR): Goal 2: Written Communications Goal: Students will refine their understanding and practice of reading and writing as integral parts of researching, learning, discussing, and presenting academic materials. Student Learning Outcomes: As a result of taking courses meeting this goal, students will:
- Read extensively and respond critically in written disclosure, (for example, complete significant outside of class reading with corresponding writing assignment).
- Use writing to learn course content by practicing writing as an integral, on-going part of the course and applying writing conventions of appropriate style manuals (for example, MLA, APA, Chicago).
- Institutional Graduation Requirement (IGR): Part III Major Area Writing Intensive
Same as IGR Goal 2, above.