DSU Admission Team
DSU Admission Team
Hey, my name is Austin Slaughter. I grew up in Madison, South Dakota and graduated from Madison High School in 2004. During high school I was active in track, cross country and intramural sports. I was also active in my local youth group.
My parents are Dennis and Susan, and I have a younger sister (Allyson). I am engaged and excited for our wedding in August 2013. My fiancée (Leslie) has a very fun and outgoing 4 year old son (Treyton). There is never a dull moment with him.
I have been part of the South Dakota Army National Guard for 8 years. During these years I have had the chance to travel throughout the US, Germany and one year in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
During my senior year I really didn't have an idea what I was going to do after graduation. I had a feeling I would further my education, just wasn't sure if it would be at a 2 year technical schools, or a 4 year university. I decided to check out DSU to please my parents, little did I know I was going to discover how much I loved the atmosphere and family at DSU during that discover day. I actually made the connection that day with the guy who ended up being my best friend. I was a member of the DSU track team and graduated in 2009 with a Computer Graphic Design degree.
There were many things that I enjoyed about DSU but the one that I love to share is the passion that our professors have for their students and the programs they instruct. They are constantly striving to provide their students with the best knowledge that they can.
10 interesting facts about me:
- I have a black lab (Checkers) and a fish (George).
- I am a two time South Dakota State Champion in the 4x200m relay.
- I enjoy traveling and have been over seas 4 times (2 personal, 2 military).
- I enjoy landscaping and have built a waterfall/pond at my parents house.
- College basketball is my favorite sport. University of Illinois is my favorite team.
- I enjoy photography and learning new ways to capture photos.
- I hope to someday own a vinyl graphics business.
- I kept a journal of my yearlong deployment to Afghanistan that ended up being over 100 pages.
- I love the Ikea store!!
- My favorite TV show is "How I Met Your Mother".
I am excited to talk with you about Dakota State University. Contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at 605.256.5742 or toll free at 1.888.DSU.9988.
Let's chat about your future at DSU, because “Technically, We Are Better!!”