Frequently Asked Questions

Can all of the courses required for the HIM majors be taken by distance education?
All courses required for the HIA, HIT or Health Care Coding Certificate are offered either by distance education, DDN or web technology, so as long as you have access to the internet, you can take these classes by distance education.

Am I required to start at the beginning of a specific semester when enrolling in a health information management degree?
You may start courses at the beginning of any semester, however, the progression of the HIM courses will depend on the availability and sequencing of the courses you take. You must be aware of any course prerequisites.

How long will it take to complete a degree (HIT or HIA) or a certificate (healthcare coding) by distance education?
The amount of time it will take to complete your degree will depend on the number of courses you feel you can handle per semester along with other responsibilities you may have (work, job, family, etc.). It will also vary depending on the number of credits you may have already taken and transferred.

Am I eligible for financial aid if I am enrolled in a course offered by distance education?
The financial aid requirements for on-line students is the same as it is for on-campus students. For information visit the Financial Aid web site

What is the tuition rate for distance education courses in the HIM majors?
The tuition rates are established each year. DSU tuition rates can be found in the DSU catalog. Courses offered off campus, such as at the University Center in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Pierre or via distance delivery, are listed as Undergraduate Centers and Internet. If you have questions on costs, please contact our Enrollment Services Offices at 1-888-DSU-9988.

Can I enroll in a health information management course without enrolling in the entire major?
It is possible to enroll in a course without having to take a complete degree or certificate. You will be considered a "non-degree" seeking student.

If I have already passed AHIMA's Certified Coding Associate (CCA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) exam, can I receive credit for any of the courses required for the HIT or HIA programs?
You will be required to either take the courses required for the degree or submit a request to DSU for Prior Learning/Work Experience to receive credit for any courses required in the Health Care Coding Certificate. You can find information on Prior Learning/Work Experience in the DSU catalog.

I would like to obtain your Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Administration. I am already an RHIT. Will I be required to take all of the courses required for this degree?
Your RHIT credential will meet the requirements for the 100 and 200 level HIM-specific courses. You will need to provide documentation regarding the credential as well as transcripts of your college work.

Is it possible to get some short-term training in health information technology to prepare for electronic health records?
Beginning in 2010, we will be offering 6-month programs in health information technology for people with some prior information technology or healthcare knowledge. Visit for more information. 

Last Updated: 9/25/13