Notification of Complaint Process for Program Integrity

Grievance Procedures

NOTE: This procedure is different from the university's Appealing Academic and Administrative Decisions Policy, (03-30-00).

If you are taking any DSU courses, and you have a complaint about your experience with DSU, you can follow DSU's process for student grievance. You may also contact the Higher Learning Commission, which is DSU's regional accrediting agency.

Any person may file a complaint with the Executive Director of the South Dakota Board of Regents to obtain a review and appropriate action on allegations that an institution governed by the Board:

  • Violated South Dakota consumer protection laws
  • Engaged in fraud or false advertising
  • Violated South Dakota laws relating to the licensure of postsecondary institutions or programs
  • Failed to provide an educational program meeting contemporary standards for content and rigor
  • Failed to assign qualified instructors; or
  • Violated one or more accreditation requirements.

Additionally, students majoring in Teacher Education, Business Administration, Respiratory Care, and Health Information Management as well as Veterans may also contact their respective accrediting agencies.

Department Agency URL
Teacher Education National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
Teacher Education Division of Education of the South Dakota Department of Education and Cultural Affairs
Business Administration Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
Respiratory Care Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
Health Information Management Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatic Management Education; American Health Information Management Association
Veterans Service members Opportunity College

Where the institution has not already considered and acted upon the complaint, the Executive Director will refer the matter to the institutional president for review and action. If the complainant challenges an institutional disposition of the complaint, the Executive Director will provide for an independent review and disposition of the allegations. The Executive Director may be contacted at:
South Dakota Board of Regents
Office of the Executive Director
306 East Capitol Avenue, Suite 200
Pierre, South Dakota 57501-2545
Phone (605) 773-345

Allegations involving violation of consumer protection laws may also be filed with:
Office of Attorney General
Division of Consumer Protection
1302 E Hwy 14 Ste 3
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone (605) 773-4400
1-800-300-1986 (in-state only)
Fax (605) 773-7163
online complaint form


Pursuant to the United States Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule, Dakota State University is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning or correspondence education within that state. Students residing in other states while enrolled in a course offered by Dakota State University are encouraged to utilize the institution's internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with the state agency or agencies. However, if the complaint is not resolved through these processes, a student may use the following list to identify the office(s) in the state in which the student resides to which the complaint against any public institution in South Dakota may be filed.

Agencies by State where These Complaints may be filed can be found at the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) State Authorization Main Web Page:

(NOTE: If a student is not able to contact the appropriate agency in a given state, please contact the Offices of the South Dakota Board of Regents and assistance will be provided. (306 East Capitol Ave, Suite 200, Pierre, SD 57501; phone: (605)773-3455; e-mail:

Last Updated: 10/18/12