University-Affiliated International Activity

OFFICE OF RECORD: Vice President for Academic Affairs
ISSUED BY:  Vice President for Academic Affairs
APPROVED BY:  Douglas D. Knowlton, President                            01-89-00


Definition of University-Affiliated International Activity

An international activity is considered University-affiliated if it is organized by or on behalf of a DSU organization, club, college, and/or academic/administrative department. Affiliation may also be determined if any funds were contributed or held for the program by a University account. Additionally, if a University faculty or employee of any kind organizes and/or participates in the activity, it is considered a University-affiliated activity.

To determine if an activity is University-affiliated, ask the following questions:

  • Am I providing funds to the student/participant or have I been provided funds through any DSU-related activity (e.g. internal or external research grants, faculty development funds)?
  • Is DSU's name associated with this effort in any way?
  • Am I accompanying a student/participant on this activity?
  • Did I approve or sign off on this activity (e.g. internship, independent study, field experience) for this student/participant?
  • Is the student getting academic credit for this activity?
  • Is this activity required for the student to complete a course, degree or program?
  • Have I advertised this opportunity to students at DSU?
  • Does this appear to be related to DSU in any way? How would the students or parents/guardians answer this question?

If you answered "yes" to any of the questions above, the activity is considered to be a University-affiliated activity.

All University-affiliated international activities — whether study, research, or work-related — must be approved by the vice president for academic affairs or designee. It is expected that all University-affiliated activities will be conducted in accordance with nationally and internationally accepted standards of good practice, state laws, and university policies. Further, proper planning and approval is required to clarify student rights and responsibilities, to fully understand the personal, legal responsibilities that a University employee may be assuming, and to provide protection for the institution from liability exposure.

Please contact the following office for information on how to propose international activities:

  • Faculty, Staff Study and/or Research Abroad – contact the Vice-President for Academic Affairs
  • Student Study Abroad or Study Tours – contact the International Programs Office, Beadle Hall Room 111, e-mail: 
  • Incoming International students, faculty, scholars – contact the International Programs Office, Beadle Hall Room111, e-mail:

Travel Restrictions

While the promotion and support of international opportunities is important to DSU, the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is paramount. As a consequence, DSU will not approve, fund, award credit for, or otherwise sponsor or support any international academic or extracurricular activity in any of the countries for which a travel warning (advising US citizens against all travel to that country) has been issued by the US State Department. However, faculty travel for professional purposes, under carefully considered conditions, may be permitted. The most current list of travel warnings can be found on the US State Department website at

Travel to countries for which the Department of State has issued a travel alert will be reviewed by the Vice-President for Academic Affairs on a case-by-case basis. Prior to approving such travel, the Vice-President will also refer to the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, and other international advisory bodies for guidance.

Tuition and Fees

Students participating under Board approved international exchange agreements pay tuition and common fees to their home campus. All special discipline fees, course fees, and other unique fees as well as room and board fees should be assessed to exchange students. (See SDBOR Policy 5:5:4 for more information,

Academic credit to be earned wholly or partially through participation in a foreign or domestic study tour shall be offered at the current self-support tuition rates established by the Board. (See SDBOR Policy 5:17,

Health Insurance

The South Dakota Board of Regents requires that all participants on a university-affiliated international activity have a health insurance policy specifically purchased for the trip. The BOR's health insurance vendor is Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). ( If the agency organizing the international travel activity has a policy of equal or greater coverage, participants may be exempt from the Board of Regents Policy, as long as the agency policy is purchased.

Guidelines for International Agreements (Memoranda of Understanding)

Agreements between international institutions and DSU are defined as direct operational ties developed through mutual agreement which provide mutual benefit and require mutual investment of resources. The emphasis is on mutual collaboration. Agreements may result from the initiative of an individual faculty member, dean, or administrative official of the university. A comprehensive institutional agreement reflects a formal understanding between individual institutions or groups of institutions (consortia). An institutional agreement must be based on administrative decisions and commitments at all levels. Approval of the President and the South Dakota Board of Regents is required.

An institutional agreement may include any of the following: exchange of undergraduate or graduate students, exchange of faculty and/or staff, joint research efforts, or other collaborative efforts. However, if the main activity that results from the agreement is the reciprocal exchange of students, the agreements must be set up to ensure uninterrupted enrollment at the home institution. Each participant is expected to pay the home institution's tuition and fees, with the equivalent fees waived at the host institution. The student is expected to pay room, board, and transportation at the host institution. As part of the exchange agreement, the student earns academic credit at the host institution and that credit is counted as institutional credits, rather than transfer credit, at the home institution.

Last Updated: 1/24/12