Graduate Program Coordinators
OFFICE OF RECORD: Office of Graduate Studies and Research
ISSUED BY: Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
APPROVED BY: 05-12-00
EFFECTIVE DATE: 9/11/07
Each graduate program will have a program coordinator who shall supervise and coordinate the administration of the program, serve as a point of contact for graduate students enrolled in the program, and provide a linkage between the graduate program committee and the graduate faculty in their respective colleges. They also act as a liaison between the program committee and the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.
The role of the Graduate Program Coordinator is critical to the success of graduate programs. Responsibilities include:
- serve as the chair of the Graduate Program Committee and serve as the program's representative on the Graduate Council
- serve as a liaison between the graduate program committee and the Office of Graduate Studies and Research, informing the committee of Graduate policies, and deadlines, as appropriate, and forwarding recommendations, nominations, and other information from the committee to the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.
- serve as an advocate for graduate programs and graduate students within their college.
- orient and counsel graduate students with respect to program and degree requirements until an academic advisor is assigned.
- Assign academic advisors and project supervisors
- enforce graduate policies and graduate program requirements provide periodic reports on the program to the Graduate Council and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research as requested by the Council or the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.
- schedule and conducting program committee meetings and disseminate decision to appropriate stakeholders.
- provide faculty and students with information, assistance and support services related to curriculum and academic policies;
- facilitate curriculum change procedures;
- coordinate admission of applicants at the program level.
- disseminate program information to prospective and current students and faculty; and
- work with graduate program committees and the university relations office to plan, develop and implement recruitment and public relations activities to promote and advertise the individual graduate programs.
Qualification and appointment
The program coordinator must be a tenure-track or tenured graduate faculty. The Graduate Dean nominates the program coordinator after appropriate consultation with the graduate faculty and the college dean to the Vice President of Academic Affairs and the President. The appointment is re-affirmed annually with the recommendation of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and approval of the VPAA and the President.