Graduate Council Curriculum Review and Approval Policy
OFFICE OF RECORD: Office of Graduate Studies and Research
ISSUED BY: Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
APPROVED BY: 05-35-00
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/22/01 (Revised 9/11/07)
Curricular actions linked to graduate degree programs are initiated by graduate program committees. The Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and the Graduate Council are responsible for recommending approval of curricular changes. The Vice President for Academic Affairs is responsible for recommending action to the President and forwarding the requested curricular changes to the Board of Regents.
- All graduate curricular action relative to graduate degree programs must be reviewed and approved in accordance with the following procedure: Any curricular changes in a graduate degree program must have the endorsement of that program graduate committee prior to the change being forwarded to the Graduate Council.
- The graduate program coordinator of the program graduate committee or the dean of the college can forward requests from graduate program committee for curricular action to the Graduate Council.
- The Graduate Council will review the curricular requests and take one of four actions: recommend approval; request clarification; recommend with minor modification; or not recommend.
- The Graduate Council will forward recommended actions to Graduate Faculty via e-mail for review and comment. Curriculum requests that are not recommended or recommended with clarifications are returned to the requesting graduate program committee for modification or other action.
- The Graduate Faculty will have one week to respond to the curricular items.
- The Graduate Council will review all comments, concerns, or corrections received from the Graduate Faculty.
- The Graduate Council will then vote on the curricular request. The committee can again take one of four actions: recommend approval; request clarification; recommend with minor clarification; or not recommend. Committee action will be by majority vote.
- Once a curricular action has been approved, the Graduate Council will forward it to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- The Vice President for Academic Affairs will recommend appropriate actions to the President and forward the curricular action to the state level as appropriate.