Graduate Program Committees
OFFICE OF RECORD: Office of Graduate Studies and Research
ISSUED BY: Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
APPROVED BY: 05-41-00
EFFECTIVE DATE: 04/02/02 (Revised 9/11/07)
Each graduate program will have a program committee that is responsible for supervision and oversight of the graduate work in their program and manages day-to-day activities of the graduate program under the leadership of the graduate program coordinator. The program committee handles the specifics of program curriculum, instruction, advising, and scheduling. The program committee report on their activities on an annual basis to the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and to the Graduate Council through their graduate program coordinator.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Monitor and review curriculum and making appropriate modifications and changes to ensure continuous improvement;
- Develop new graduate courses;
- Establish and monitor application and admission requirements and procedures beyond the minimum admission requirements established by the university;
- Evaluate applications for admission to the graduate program;
- Evaluate credit transfer and course waiver applications;
- Develop and maintaining course schedules and rotations;
- Develop and monitoring assessment activities;
- Become actively involved in graduate student recruitment and public relations activities;
- Develop criteria for graduate student assistantships for the program and evaluate applications for graduate assistantships
Membership and Appointment
The program committee will consist of all graduate faculty actively teaching in and serving as advisors to students in the program. The graduate program coordinator serves as the chair for the program committee and as a liaison between the program committee and the college dean and as a liaison between the program committee and the Office of Graduate Studies and Research as outlined in DSU Policy 05-12-00, Graduate Program Coordinators. The college dean will serve as a non-voting member of the committee and as an advisor on issues related to faculty workload and program delivery. The Dean for Graduate Studies and Research will serve as a non-voting member of the committee and as an advisor on issues concerning graduate policies and procedures and student enrollment. The program committee may establish any subcommittees deemed necessary to address program needs and concerns identified by program committee members. The graduate program coordinator will make subcommittee assignments.
Meetings and Actions
The graduate program committee is responsible for the general supervision of the graduate work in their program and will work with the Office of Graduate Studies and Research on matters concerning university policies and procedures governing graduate education and on issues/questions concerning graduate enrollment and student services. The program committee will meet regularly throughout the academic year. Minutes will be taken at each meeting and distributed to committee members and to Graduate Council.