- Where do I start? This page offers advice if you don't know what research database or search tool to use.
- Request full articles and books not available online or in Library; distance students may request any items not available online.
Facts and Statistics Sources
The purpose of this page is to lead you to facts and statistics -- short answers rather than books or journal articles -- and to unique formats or content available on the web. For example, the sources listed on this web page will lead you to almanacs, associations, calculators and converters, telephone/address/email directories, quotations, encyclopedias, statistics, and more. If you do not find what you need in the lists below, use the Ask a Librarian link to get help from a librarian.
Facts, Statistics, and Brief Explanations - free online resources
The sites below are highly selective in their choice of free web resources. They provide direct links to credible and valuable sources of facts, statistics, and brief explanations accessible online. Use the links below to find almanacs, calculators and converters, directories of addresses/telephone numbers/email addresses, quotations, statistics, and more.
- Virtual Reference Shelf (Library of Congress) -- On the VRS homepage, select the category of information you want such as almanacs, directories, etc.
- Ready Reference Collection (IPL2 - Internet Public Library) -- Navigate to the category of information you want by using the list on the left side of the IPL2 web page. Additional web resources may be found at IPL2 in Resources by Subject.
Facts, Statistics, and Brief Explanations - library research databases
The databases below provide access to credible specialized encyclopedias and related sources that provide brief explanations, facts, and statistics.
When off the Madison main campus, Dakota State University students, faculty and staff will be required to login with their library IDs and passwords.
- CollegeSource Online - Search this source for information about colleges and universities in the United States, including college catalogs and links to university websites. The Advanced search tool allows you to search for universities that meet specific criteria (such as size, cost, majors, public or private, etc.)
- CQ Researcher - Search this database for encyclopedia-style articles with statistics and graphs for information about a wide range of topics currently in the news.
- Credo Reference - Search this large online collection of encyclopedias and other sources for information about topics in any subject.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Search this online collection of encyclopedias for information about topics in many subjects.
- Oxford English Dictionary - Search this specialize online dictionary for definitions of English words,for the history of the words, and for their use in quotations over the course of time. "The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is widely regarded as the accepted authority on the English language. It is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words— past and present—from across the English-speaking world. As a historical dictionary, the OED is very different from those of current English, in which the focus is on present-day meanings. You'll still find these in the OED, but you'll also find the history of individual words, and of the language—traced through 3 million quotations, from classic literature and specialist periodicals to films scripts and cookery books."
South Dakota Facts, Statistics, and Brief Explanations
The following sources are free, credible sites on the open web that provide facts, statistics, and other information related to South Dakota. Examples include sources of statistics about South Dakota education and health, sources of South Dakota legal information (laws, court cases, etc), sources of information about South Dakota communities, and more.
south dakota: General
- South Dakota State Library Digital Services -- repository of state documents and other research material.
south dakota: Genealogy & History
- SDGENWEB Archives -- contains much historical & genealogy material about South Dakota
- Andreas' Historical Atlas of Dakota, 1884 -- the project to transcribe this atlas is in progress; some county histories are now available
- Panoramic Maps, 1847-1929 -- from collections of the Library of Congress, American Memory Project; includes historic maps of SD towns
- South Dakota newspapers -- search for older newspapers located at the SD State Historical Society.
- United States Atlas of Historical County Boundaries -- find county boundaries during earlier time periods to aid in locating ancestors.
south dakota: Government
- South Dakota Legislative Information - State laws, regulations, & legislative information
- South Dakota Public & Legal Notices - public notices from school boards, city, and county commissions
- State of South Dakota web site - home page for access to SD information, departments, agencies, etc.
- South Dakota State Government's Online Forms - provides all state forms. Download forms for printing and fill out forms online for submitting electronically. Many state forms can be processed entirely online for immediate service.
south dakota: Higher Education
- South Dakota Board of Regents
- Dakota State University (Madison)
- Black Hills State University (Spearfish)
- Northern State University (Aberdeen)
- South Dakota School of Mines & Technology (Rapid City)
- South Dakota State University (Brookings)
- University of South Dakota (Vermillion)
south dakota: Literature
- South Dakota Literary Map -- The South Dakota Literary Map and this accompanying website were produced for the South Dakota Council of Teachers of English
south dakota: Roads & Weather
- South Dakota Traveler Information -- includes links to maps and information on road conditions due to weather and construction. For more, see SD Dept of Transportation website.
south dakota: Statistics and Population
- SD Almanac: State Statistics -- great source of links compiled by the South Dakota State Library with statistics about agriculture, crime, education, health and much, much more
- South Dakota County and Community Profiles -- select county or community to view data about demographics, education, labor force, quality of life, and other topics. This U.S. Census data is provided on the website of the South Dakota Governor's Office on Economic Development.
- S.D. Department of Education
Data & Reporting -- Data
collection resources include, for example:
- South Dakota Education Directory
- Education Statistics
- South Dakota Department of Health, Health Statistics -- provides statistics on diseases, motor vehicle accidents, and more.