DSU students must take 11 hours of elective courses, choosing either the thesis or non-thesis option. The MSET thesis serves as 4 credits of elective credits towards the 11 elective credits that need to be fulfilled for the MSET program. The thesis serves as an activity conducted by students under the direction of the faculty.
The thesis option, CET 798, counts for four elective credit hours. Students may not take both the thesis option (CET 798) and the Educational Computing Project (CET 788); nor can they choose both the thesis option and the practicum (CET 795).
Registering for the MSET Thesis
- To register for the MSET thesis the student must first choose a thesis supervisor and two committee members.
- The thesis supervisor will then need to email the Graduate Office the request for registration for CET 798.
- As the student comes to the end of the semester they will schedule a time and date to defend their thesis with their supervisor and committee members. The thesis supervisor and committee members need to be present when the student defends their thesis.
- Once the student has finished defending their thesis and the supervisor and committee members need to approve the thesis for binding.
- The supervisor and committee members will need to sign the MSET Thesis Approval Form and send it to the graduate office; the graduate office will store the original final approval form.
- The student can then follow the procedures below for printing and binding the thesis.
Printing and Binding Thesis
Step 1: Have your project report completed with all corrections and/or changes made to it. This includes all corrections and/or changes your committee has suggested including following the project format, style, and preparation guidelines.
Step 2: You will need to have a minimum of three (3) copies printed. Two copies go to the Library and the one copy goes to your thesis supervisor.
Step 3: You will need to make sure either you or your thesis supervisor turns in the final thesis approval form to the Graduate Office. The Graduate Office will then make copies of this form on acid-free paper for you and send it to the Library. The original form will stay in your permanent file in the Graduate Office.
Step 4: Once you have completed all of the necessary changes to your thesis you will need to have the thesis printed. You can accomplish this by following one of the two steps below.
- You can print the thesis yourself but it must be on acid-free paper. You have to have a minimum of three (3) copies printed. You then need to drop the thesis off at the Library or mail the thesis to the address below. If you are printing yourself, skip to Step 6.
Dakota State University
Karl E. Mundt Library
Attn: Ellen Hoff
820 N Washington Ave
Madison, SD 57042
- You can have the Production Center at DSU print your thesis report for you. You will need to email Deb Pauley at Deb.Pauley@dsu.edu and let her know how many copies you need, if any of them need to be in color, and send her the report. Go to Step 5 if you are having the Production Center print your thesis.
Step 5: If you are having DSU print your thesis you will need to call the Grad Office to pay for these charges with a credit card or send a check to the Grad Office for these charges.
Step 6: You need to have a minimum of three (3) copies printed for DSU and anything beyond those three copies would be for yourself. To bind your copies of your thesis, it currently costs $10.00 per book; it is an additional $10.00 per book to have it shipped back to you once it is bound. You can pay these charges through the Grad Office with a credit card, drop a check off at the Library, or you can mail a check directly to Ellen Hoff at the Library.
Step 7: You will need to fill out the form on the Library's website so they know what to do with your bound thesis when it comes back from the binding company.
If you have questions about having your thesis printed at DSU, please contact Deb Pauley at Deb.Pauley@dsu.edu.
If you have questions about the binding process, sending the Library payment for your binding, or checking to see if they received your report, please contact Ellen Hoff at Ellen.Hoff@dsu.edu.
If you have any other questions related to your thesis, such as payment for your thesis, questions about your final approval form, or anything else, please contact Jennifer Mees at Jennifer.Mees@dsu.edu.