MSHI Advising Guidelines
Congratulations and welcome to the MSHI program! Please complete your plan of study (POS) and send it to your academic advisor at your earliest convenience.
You will need the following:
- MSHI course descriptions (for information on course pre-requisites)
- MSHI course rotation (for course offerings)
The following sample schedules may be helpful for you to consider as you complete your plan of study.
Please note that the number of courses you take at any one semester depends on your expected graduation date and the amount of time you can devote to the program.
Also, please note the following:
- If you need the knowledge courses INFS 601 and/or INFS 612, please make sure to schedule them for the first available semester.
- If you need the knowledge course HIMS 701, you should take this prior to the other HIMS courses.
- You must take INFS 760 prior to HIMS 746.
- If you have a graduate assistantship, you need to register for 9 credits per semester. The only exception to this rule is towards the end of your program and when you register for your capstone experience. In this case, you are allowed to register for 7-8 credits.
- Start to think about your capstone experience early in your program. You may want to keep topics, locations, etc. for that experience in your mind while you are working on your other courses.
- When choosing elective credits please make sure you have met any prerequisites on those classes or you have to have the instructors permission to take the class.
Please send your tentative plan of study (POS) to your academic advisor for review. Please make sure to rename the POS file as "POS-MSHI-<Your name>.xls". Once approved by your advisor, please make sure to send a copy to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.