MSIS Program Requirements
The program requires 30 hours beyond the baccalaureate. All students must take the following:
- Six core courses (18 credit hours), including a capstone policy and strategy course;
- An information integration project (Option A) or a coursework only option (Option B), both equivalent to 3 credit hours. Once a student has chosen an option and signed up and/or completed the comprehensive exam, they cannot switch to a different option.
- Option A
- The Information Integration Project Course, a two to three course sequence which requires designing, developing and implementing a real application project, or
- Option B
- Take a 700 graduate-level three credit course, the course must be in the MSIA or MSIS programs and must be equivalent to three credit hours. The course may not be a required courses or a course in your selected specialization track. For a list of courses please review the graduate website under the MSIS/MSIA course summary/descriptions.
- A three-course sequence (9 credit hours) in a Career Track specialization. Specializations include Data Management, Electronic Commerce, Network Administration and Security, Healthcare Information Systems, or General. The General Specialization entails taking the first course from the Data Management, Electronic Commerce, and the Network Administration and Security specializations. Students may choose to take additional electives and more than one specialization.
Students who do not meet the business and information systems requirements as specified for admission may have to take up to 9 additional hours of coursework that may be added to their program of study.
It is possible to complete the program in four to five semesters of full-time study-depending upon how the basic knowledge requirements are met. On a part-time basis, the time to complete will depend upon the number of credit hours taken per semester.
MSIS Courses are offered using a variety of delivery methods, including campus, teleconferencing, and Internet. Please see the Program Delivery section as this section provides more details.