National Student Employee Week
What exactly is Student Employment week? To recognize the hard work and dedication of our student employees, DSU will participate in National Student Employee Week, and select one "On Campus" and one "Off Campus" Student Employee of the Year. Employers of DSU were invited to nominate their top student employees.
National Student Employee Week is a program sponsored by the National Student Employment Association (NASEA) and the Midwest Association of Student Employment Administrators (MASEA) to recognize student employees and the importance of the student work experience. Because DSU has a large number of students that also work off campus, Career Services decided to invite Madison employers to recognize their student employees by nominating them for the "Off Campus" award.
At DSU, we depend on the contributions of our student workforce for the efficient operation of the entire campus. We find it appropriate for us to recognize the vital contributions our student employees make.
Students were nominated by the February 15th deadline given to employers and that were eligible for the award. A Committee of faculty and staff reviewed the nominations and selected the DSU winners based on the information provided in the letter of nomination. Winners will be announced during the National Student Employment Week, April 11-17th, 2010.
The Nominees for Off Campus and their employers are:
- Sarah Keppen – Nominated by Michele Keppen, Keppen Construction, Inc.
- John Eining – Nominated by Camelyn Sims, Bulldog Media Group, Inc.
- Valerie Pherson – Nominated by Rev. Ryan Mutzenberger, United Methodist Church
- Jason Jenkins – Nominated by Michael Osborn, Secure Banking Solutions
- Jessica Parsley – Nominated by Jon Knuths, First Bank & Trust
- Cheryl Brueggeman – Nominated by Jon Knuths, First Bank & Trust
- Natashia Ransom – Nominated by Jeff Haase, Secure Banking Solutions
The Nominees for On Campus and their employers are:
- Mary Ellis – Nominated by Shannon Vostad, Karl Mundt Library
- Nicole Horstman – Nominated by Janelle Nielsen, Career Services
- Sarah Elizabeth Harper – Nominated by Katy O'Hara, Admissions & Records
DSU winners will receive:
- A $50 cash award and certificate of recognition from DSU
- A great bullet point to add to their resume!
- In addition, DSU's on campus winner will go on to be considered at the state, regional and national levels.