Teams and Team Play
- Teams (on playing court) are composed of 3 women and 3 men. Failure to have four players on the court at starting time will result in forfeiture to the opposing team. No more than 3 males can be on the court playing at one time.
- The players shall alternate court positions with two members of the same sex never playing side by side.
- All players must be in the court boundaries until the server has contacted the ball.
- The server stands in the back row, right side of the court. No restrictions on how you serve. Both feet must be behind the line when the serve is made.
- Players may be substituted in or rotated in during serve change-over only, except in case of injury. The substitution must not take more than 15 seconds.
- Team shall rotate clockwise one position after side out, when ball returns to their service.
- Infringement of any of the above rules constitutes a side-out or point (whichever the case) to be called by the referee.
- NO BLACK SOLE SHOES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE GYM FLOOR.
- Each server is responsible to call the score loud and clear before each serve. The referee is to call out the score if the server does not volunteer it. Starting an incorrect score will constitute a replay to be called immediately by the referee.
- A game is won when either team scores 25 points with a 2-point advantage. Rally scoring format will be used. We will play a best 2 out of 3 matches. If one of the teams wins two in a row the match is over, however, the two teams may play "for fun" until their time is used up.
- A 45 minute game clock will be kept.
- To begin play, a coin shall be tossed for the two captains. The winner may choose between the first serve, or side of court; the loser takes whatever choice is left. At the beginning of subsequent games, the team that received first in the previous game shall have first serve in the following game.
- Scores are kept by each team and should be reported to the supervisor after each game.
Rotation and Service
- Rotation does not occur until the first server from both teams has completed his/her first term of service. Thereafter, the team receiving the ball for service shall immediately rotate one position.
Playing the Ball
- A player may not hit the ball twice in succession. However, if you block a shot, it is not considered a hit. You still have three hits on that side to return the ball.
- A player may use any part of the body above the waist to hit the ball.
- A ball may be contacted no more than three times by a team before it is sent across the net.
- If two or more players of the same team simultaneously contact the ball, either person may replay it.
- A ball touching any part of the boundary line is good.
- An out of bounds ball must be allowed to hit the floor or it will not be ruled "out" by an official.
- Both sexes must strike the ball before it is returned across the net if the ball is hit more than once. The ball may be struck twice in a row by female teammates but it must then be struck by a man before returning it over the net, or vice-versa.
- Men or women in the front row may block a ball at the net, causing it to return with only one hit.
Ball Crossing the Net
- The ball may be played when any part of it has crossed the net. A ball, except a service, striking the net and going over is still in play. The net and center line may not be violated by any member of either team.
- The center line may be touched but not stepped over during any play and the net may not be touched during play. Infringement constitutes a side-out or point. A ball forcing the net into a person does not constitute a foul.
- Stepping over the center.
- Touching the net while the ball is in play.
- When the ball momentarily comes to a rest in the hands or arms of a player, he/she shall be considered as catching or holding the ball.
- Scooping, lifting, shoving or following the ball shall be considered as holding.
- Breaking the plane of the net at anytime (includes reaching over the net to play the ball, following through over the net).
- One person hitting the ball twice in succession.
- Four hits by one team.
- Serving out of turn.
- When opposing team members commit a foul simultaneously, there shall be a replay of the point.
Delay of Game
- Delay of game due to the following actions shall constitute side-out or point.
- Consume excessive time before serving the ball (more than 10 seconds).
- Consume excessive time in recovering or returning out of bounds ball.