Rules are the same as for college play with the following exceptions:
- The length of playing time will be divided into two 18 minute halves.
- The halftime break is two minutes.
- Once started, the clock will run continuously until the end of the 1st half. Clock will stop on dead balls during the final two minutes of the 2nd half.
- Each team will have one time out per game.
- Substitution can only occur during a dead ball period. The sub must alert the official who will wave the sub into the game.
- Overtime games will be decided by playing an extra period of two minutes. The team ahead at the end of this period wins. If the game is still tied, a sudden death period will be started immediately and the team scoring first either by free throw or field goal will be the winner. (Each team will be given one timeout for overtime play). Team fouls are continuous.
- Once the official places the ball at the free throw line, the shooter has ten seconds to take the ball and to complete the shot. If the player fails to step to the line and shoot the ball in the allotted time, the ball will be awarded to the opposing team at the sideline and opposite from the free throw stripe.
- A ball not inbounded within five seconds is turned over to the other team. A player stepping over the restraining line to inbound the ball will also turn the ball over to the other team.
- Bonus free throws will be shot on the 7th team foul of each half. Double bonus will be awarded on the 10th team foul.
- Any fouls involving excessive force, the undercut of a player or other acts that is determined by the official as un-necessary will result in a flagrant foul. Two free throws will be awarded to the offended player plus his/her team will retain the ball at mid- court. Non-shooting fouls will be taken out of bounds nearest the point of the foul.
- When a technical foul is called on a player, he/she will be ejected for the remainder of the game and must leave the gym immediately. The technical will also be reported to the Intramural Sports Department. If a player receives their second technical during the course of the season they have to leave the gym and will result in a 1 game suspension. A third technical will result in suspension from the league for the remainder of the season and will have to meet with the Intramural Sports Director to review the conduct of their actions.
- A basket by a male or female is worth the usual point values (2 or 3 points).
- Teams may provide their own jersey's. However, if no team has "game jersey's", pennies will be checked out to each team captain 5 minutes before game time. Captains will be charged for jerseys not returned after the game.
- Players must participate in 2 games during the regular season to be eligible for the league playoff Tournament. (Signature required on "Team Sign Form" at least 2 times)
- A team must have 5 players on the floor at the designated starting time, a 5 minute grace period will be allowed to cumulate enough players, otherwise the game will be declared a forfeit.
- Players may only play with one team. If he/she plays for a team and is not signed up on the original roster, he/she will be declared ineligible for further basketball competition and face disciplinary action. All games played prior to this time will be forfeited. If found playing later, the team on which he/she is playing will forfeit the game and face further disciplinary sanctions from the Intramural Department.
- Each team must select someone to assist with the scoring during the game. There must be a scorekeeper from each team at the score sheet throughout the entire game.
- Changes in the roster can be made up to the beginning of the first game. Additions to the original roster will only be made if an injury occurs that results in the team having less than 5 players.
Authority of Officials
Officials hold all right to make calls as they see fit. The only players that reserve the right to talk to officials during a dead ball are the captains of the teams, and only to discuss a rule not a judgment call. All players must treat any official with respect and decent manner.